Thursday, February 21, 2013

Five Tips for Consistent Weight Measurement

Here is an excellent example of how other things besides "being good" on our diet can influence our weight measurements:




After watching this, it occurred to me there are a few things we may do to get a more consistently accurate weight measurement on weigh-in day:
  1. Try to drink the same amount of fluids each weigh-in day. For instance, I drink a large glass of water each morning when I rise, sip 12 ounces of coffee while I have devotions, and then I have another large glass of water with my medications and supplements. Now, if I wanted to cheat and get a lower weight for some reason, I could easily "lose" a pound or two by abstaining from my morning fluids. I could even "lose" a little more by skipping breakfast. But, neither or those options makes for a consistently accurate weight measurement.  
  2. If weighing yourself in the morning, try to eat early enough so you have a bowel movement before stepping on the scales. Again, consistency is key. If you do not have a bowel movement, take that into consideration if you have gained a little or haven't lost what you think you should have.
  3. Always empty your bladder before weighing in. After drinking all those fluids in the morning, I usually have no problem doing this. :)
  4. Avoid high sugar and salt intake (known fluid retainers) the night before. One of my worst weight gains came the morning after I had eaten at a Chinese restaurant.
  5. Wear similar-weight clothing or even the exact same outfit to weigh in. While I do not advocate taking one's shoes off to weigh in or stripping down to your skivvies, it might make a difference if you are wearing a heavy coat or extra clothing.
All in all, consistency is key. You don't have to sweat it if things aren't exactly the same every time you weigh in, nor do you have to fret over the time you weigh in or what you've consumed or excreted. The important thing, if you choose to weigh in at all, is that you do it.

And, above all, don't let the scales dominate your health outlook. It is only a tool, not a whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment