Friday, March 1, 2013

A 1 Corinthians 13 Bible Study of Charity and Its Fruits

One practice I really treasure is the reading of religious books as part of my morning devotional time. Reading the Bible comes first followed by pray, then, as time permits, I read a portion from a book of choice which ministers to my soul. Never did I realize what an impact my most recent treasure would be.

You see, love is the subject for March on the Visionary Womanhood blog. Each contributor is doing a post on a separate verse from 1 Corinthians 13. (I believe my post on verse 4 will come out on March 11.) In preparation, Natalie suggested we contributors read Jonathan Edwards' Charity and Its Fruits: Christian Love as Manifested in the Heart and Life. Edwards is a great favorite of our family, so I was excited to add it to my morning routine.

There hasn't been one reading from this book which has not dug down to the very roots of hidden sin in my heart. It's like trying to get rid of dandelions. You can't simply mow them down on the surface. You can't even pull them up by the roots. You have to dig down DEEP to get to the very tip of the root before you will be able to destroy them without them popping right back up again. Edwards gets to the tip of the root of our sins against God regarding Christian love.


I thank God for preserving this work for us in a day when the love of many is waxing cold (Matthew 24:12) even among believers, me included. It has really changed me in a way I could not have expected. May God use it for His glory.

I hope you will bookmark the Visionary Womanhood blog and dig in with us into 1 Corinthians 13. I have also included a link to Amazon.com in the side bar where you may purchase a copy of Charity and Its Fruits for a very reasonable price. I encourage you to get it as soon as possible.

Please note: Clicking on links in this post may result in monetary benefit to this blogger. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment