Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Business of Being Born

Round Table Discussion

I received an ad with one of our DVDs from Netflix.com which told of a new documentary which would open in theaters around the first of this year called The Business of Being Born. I viewed the trailer online and read what I could find concerning it, then promptly added it to my Netflix.com queue. (Of course, being the frugal gal that I am, I could wait for it to be delivered free to my mailbox.)

The website for the movie gives a synopsis:

Birth is a miracle, a rite of passage, a natural part of life. But birth is also big business.

Compelled to explore the subject after the delivery of her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to question the way American women have babies.

The film interlaces intimate birth stories with surprising historical, political and scientific insights and shocking statistics about the current maternity care system. When director Epstein discovers she is pregnant during the making of the film, the journey becomes even more personal.

Should most births be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potentially catastrophic medical emergency?[1]

I really perked up when I saw that they were investigating the use of the drug Pitocin in childbirth. I was given Pitocin with all four of my births because the doctors all told me that my contractions weren’t evening out quickly enough. I always knew there was something wrong with how my births were handled. Now, I know why. This movie was a real eye opener, to say the least.

I have known at least four women personally who have had home births, two of which attend our church. So, I asked these two friends over, kicked the guys out, and viewed it with them along with our daughter, Lydia, who is eighteen and learning about birth options. Since we were all together, we thought it would be good to capture our thoughts on audio just after watching the film in order to get our first reactions.


Left to right: Lanae with baby daughter, Anna, and Marcia

As you listen, I apologize ahead of time for the ssssscccccrrrrrriiiiiiitching you will hear every once in awhile as I slid the cassette tape player across the table to better pick up the voice of the lady speaking. Also, one of the ladies had her baby girl with her, so there are (most appropriately) some baby noises in the background.

After listening, be sure to find the DVD and give it a view yourself, even if you are not considering home birth. I agree that all women should see this film. All women should be as informed as they can be before making decisions regarding their births and before counseling their daughters and other young women on birth choices.


Click here for the Business of Being Born round table discussion.

Download the QuickTime Player for free if you are having trouble opening this file or open with your player of choice here: www.ehomebody.com/BOBB.mp3.

Other reviews for The Business of Being Born may be found on my website.

[1] The Business of Being Born website.