Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Favorite Authors

I would like to thank my friend at A Heart of Praise for tagging me for a favorite books meme. I love sharing my favorite authors and titles with my blogging community.


First question: Who is your all-time favorite author and why?

My all-time favorite author would have to be John Taylor Gatto. This man really sheds some light on why America and its schools are in the shape they are in today. His book Dumbing Us Down is a must read for every parent in the United States.

Who was your first favorite author and why? Do you still consider him/her to be among your favorites?
My first favorite author would have been Charlotte Bronte. My grandmother gave me a large, hardback copy of Jane Eyre with woodblock printing by Fritz Eichenberg. I used to read it every fall when the weather got bleak and dreary. It just fit the occasion delightfully. I haven't read it for many years now, so I don't suppose she is a favorite author anymore.

Who is the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?

I do very little pleasure reading because of our hectic schedule, but my most recent discovery is MaryJane Butters. I think of her as the "Martha Stewart of the country."

Though I cannot agree with her spiritual beliefs (an ex-Mormon turned Naturalist), her decorating style is my style. Everything from her writings screams "Grandma Southerland!" You just have to see her books and magazine to know what I mean.

I also appreciate her encouragement to live simply, frugally, and environmentally responsibly. There is a definite "women can do anything men can do" attitude about her writings, but I can ignore that and just take what is good. She is a traditional feminist, which sees women as strong and well able to be the homemakers they are meant to be. She actually makes cleaning the house an adventure. I need that kind of attitude adjustment every once in awhile.

If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth?
John Taylor Gatto - history of American education
Benjamin Wiker - social insight from a moral perspective
E.M. Bounds - best books on prayer ever written other than the Bible
Nancy Leigh DeMoss - just about everything she has ever written
Dr. Laura Schlesinger - not a Christian, but taught me that men are people, too
Debi Pearl - great counsel regarding marriage and family life

So many books, so little time.

The rules:

Link to the person who tagged you.
Post the rules somewhere in your blog.
Answer the questions.
Tag five other people in your post.
Let the people tagged know they've been chosen in a comment on their blog.

I now tag:
Kristy at Homemaker's Cottage
Chelsey at Joyfully Living
Cindy at Modern Christian Homestead
Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking
Penny at PennyRaine.com