Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Love Scenes in Movies


Our family was watching a movie one time about a Christian young couple establishing their home on the wild frontier. It was very touching and honored a godly marriage. Then, my dear husband ruined everything.

"They shouldn't be kissing. They aren't really married."

BOMBSHELL EXPLOSION

At the time, I brushed off his remark and excused their behavior as "only acting" and doing so for the greater good of honoring pure marriage. However, I haven't been able to watch a movie kissing scene since then without feeling extreme shame.

Then, I heard about the new movie coming out this weekend called Fireproof. It's about a fireman whose marriage is falling apart at the seams when his father gives him what is described as a "Love Dare" book. By following the daily challenges in the book, the lead character is able to successfully win back his wife's love.

So, they have to kiss, don't they? Wouldn't you kiss your dearly beloved if he worked very hard to win your love? Of course, you would.

Here's the catch: the lead star, Kirk Cameron, has made a commitment not to kiss any other woman except his own wife -- not even acting. I nearly jumped for joy when I heard about this!

To get around the obstacle of Kirk kissing another woman, the crew dressed his own wife in the same dress and shot the scene in silhouette. Isn't that totally wonderful!

On the TODAY show, Cameron told Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford, "So when I’m kissing my wife, we’re actually husband and wife honoring marriage behind the scenes." (Emphasis mine.)

I can only pray that other Christian actors and actresses will take the initiative to insist on this same conviction and further help to clean up the movie industry and offer the world movies which glorify God and his created purpose for marriage and family.

Read about and watch the TODAY show interview:
Kirk Cameron: I'll only kiss my wife

Watch the movie trailer:
http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/