Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting to Know Marcia


The most important thing about me is that I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. The point in my life when I came to know Him was when I truly became what I was created to be. I would rather you not know a whole lot about me before that life-changing experience. Yet, like everyone else, I am a work in progress with so much more to learn, live, and love.

The next most life-changing thing to happen to me was my marriage to the love of my life. Leslie J. Wilwerding, and I were wedded on June 1, 1985, [1] and were soon blessed with four wonderful children: Jonathan (born 1986), Samuel (1987), Lydia (1989), and Andrew (1992). Even before we married, Les and I decided to follow our calling and home educate our children. While Les went to work, I taught the children and kept house (sort of). We did this completely by faith not knowing how we would do it or how the things would turn out. I officially began instructing Jonathan and Samuel in 1991 using Abeka K4 at the kitchen table. When our youngest graduated in 2010, we had completed nearly twenty years of domestic academic bliss. In answer to prayer and by the grace of God, we praise Him for just how well the children did turn out. :)

Once our homeschooling years came to a close, my focus turned more toward sharing with others how it is possible, by the grace of God, to create healthy, happy, holy homes.

Here are a few other miscellaneous things you might find interesting about me:

Spiritually:

  • After the Lord, my family means the most to me.
  • My dearly beloved husband is my best friend, with all of our children equally in close second.
  • My church family is second only to my natural family.
  • I have a deep-rooted faith in the sovereignty and providence of God: He is able to provide every need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
  • My favorite book of all time is the Bible, and I make time to read and study it most days of the week.
  • Besides the Bible, the one book which has made the most difference in my spiritual walk is The Complete Works of E.M. Bounds on Prayer. Another influential book in my life has been Essentialism by Greg McKeown.
  • I also enjoy the writings of William Jay, Edward Payson (father of Elizabeth Prentiss who wrote Stepping Heavenward), Charles Spurgeon, Andrew Murray, John Bunyan, D.M. Lloyd-Jones, and other old divines.
Music:

  • I don't dance.....in public, anyway.
  • I love to sing, especially in public worship.
  • I can play the piano tolerably well.
  • My tastes run in the hymns, psalter hymns, spiritual songs, classical, inspirational, and celtic veins, but I have been known to sing along with T-Mac at the top of my lungs in the car while listening to the local contemporary Christian station on the radio. ;)
  • I usually have inpirational internet radio on (Abiding Radio) while I'm online or working around the house.
Movies:
  • When I'm not reading, writing, or listening to good music, I enjoy watching educational, inspirational, and old-fashioned romantic movies.
  • My favorite chick flick of all time is the A & E version of Pride and Prejudice (1995); I also like most of the other Jane Austin movies out there, but not all. I have also added Enchanted April and The Magic of Ordinary Days to my favorites list.
  • Movies I have enjoyed with my family include mysteries, drama, and family-centered themes: Miss Marple, Time Changers, Gettysburg, Facing the Giants, Amazing Grace, The Hiding Place, Because of Winn-Dixie, Friendly Persuasion, and To Kill a Mockingbird, to name a few.
Books:
  • Writing is my passion.
  • Reading ranks way up there, too, especially when I'm hot on the research trail of another writing project.
  • My favorite fiction work is Jane Eyre; I have an old copy given to me by my maternal grandmother which features original wood cut illustrations. I try to read it when the weather is rainy and bleak, especially in the fall or during the January slump.
  • I especially enjoy selling good, used books and curriculum on half.com and homeschoolclassifieds.com.
  • I love looking through used books; it's like a treasure hunt for me.
  • The local library is the first place I visit when we move to a new town.
Other Pastimes:
  • I like to crochet, but only with cotton thread (mostly doilies); the acrylic yarns irritate my fingers.
  • I am working on a (perpetual?) cross stitch project with Amish people and Scripture in the patterns.
  • I was an eBay seller for many years, but haven't sold anything for awhile.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly:

  • I love to laugh and try to coax others into a more cheerful mood.
  • I don't know it all, but I act like it sometimes.
  • I can be a little on the bossy side when trying to offer helpful advice, but the Lord is working on this area of my character.
Well, that's about it. I'm sure there's more to me than all this, but that just means you'll have to come visit me more often. And be sure to leave your comments on the blog so we can get to know one another better. I hope we will become good friends.