Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Leaning Toward Urban Homesteading

Most people who know me personally are going to laugh themselves silly. But, it has always been my dream to live a sustainable lifestyle. Here are my five main reasons:
  1. It's more frugal...at least, in the long run
  2. It's healthier...more veggies and more exercise (now you're laughing)
  3. It's environmentally responsible
  4. I want to connect with how my foremothers fed their families
  5. I believe it's the way we were meant to live (by our Creator who originally planted Man in a garden)



I have been studying sustainability for many, many years, primarily through reading the Countryside & Small Stock Journal. Since there are as many definitions of sustainability as there are homesteaders, over time I have developed my own. To me, sustainability means producing from the land
  • free ways of heating/cooling our home
  • a free, clean water source
  • as much of our own food as possible

I came across an interesting verse in my Bible reading one time:

We have drunken our water for money; our wood is sold unto us. -- Lamentations 5:4


The prophet Jeremiah laments the fact that, during the judgment of the nation of Israel, they had to pay for their water and heating source. I must conclude, therefore, that it is a curse to have to pay water and heating bills! It should be a given that wood and water are free. Just think how much money you could save each month if you didn't have heating or water bills!


Another blessing we often overlook is producing our own food. This one is a little more tricky than pulling up water from a well or cutting down a tree. It will cost a little something to get started, but, if you use heirloom seeds and make your own compost, you can usually produce enough fruit and vegetables to feed your whole family on only a very small amount of land.


Our family has some other ideas such as raising chickens, rabbits, and maybe a dwarf dairy goat, (some bees? proooobably not) so we are looking for a home which sits on at least half an acre of land. If we were able to have a rooster which doesn't crow (any ideas?) and bred our other animals, our meat and dairy source would also be very economical and sustainable.


These are all just dreams right now. Yet, with our next home purchase, we hope to begin our long-awaited journey toward sustainability.

I hope you will say a prayer for us regarding this and come back regularly to see how we are progressing.