Here is Lydia's version which really knocked my socks off:
- 12 3- to 4-inch long pickling cucumbers, quartered length-wise
- 2 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup chopped fresh dill weed
- 1/2 cup white sugar (may reduce by 1/2)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, water, vinegar, chopped dill, sugar, garlic, salt, and pickling spice. Stir, and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- Remove the cucumbers to three 1 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, placing 4 cucumbers into each jar. Ladle in the liquid from the bowl to cover. Seal with lids. Refrigerate for 10 days before eating. Use within 1 month.