Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mother of 11 Tells How They Home School

I really wish I had known someone like the writer of the Three Syllables blog when we were starting to home school. I was so uptight and thought I had to do it like the public (and private), institutional schools. It wasn't until many, many years later that we finally slipped into the relaxed home school that we are known for.

Here is how she starts this fantastic post:

"My first piece of advice to you is to Keep It Simple! Homeschooling--especially in the early years, should be a joy. It should be fun, and easy, and intriguing, and it should NOT be work. I think the biggest mistake I've seen people make over the years is to over structure themselves. They either rely too heavily on workbooks and guidebooks, or they tie themselves to a method that they feel they must stick to in order to make things work." (emphasis mine)

Amen! and Amen! Please read this post and consider what she has to say:

Homeschooling Young Children