Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Failed Frosting and a Great Ham and Potato Recipe


Just thought I'd share with you both the failure and success of my day today.

First of all, my 7-Minute Frosting failed. I don't know for sure what happened, but I ruined my 21-year-old daughter's birthday cake. :( The frosting is grainy and stiff. In fact, it tore up the cake when I tried to spread it. Then, after I finally got it half-way decent, I realized I had also forgotten to add the vanilla extract as the last step. *sigh* One...of...those...days.

However, I also found a fantastic dinner recipe using my leftover ham. I've lightened up this Cheesy Potato Casserole for my own benefit, but feel welcome to adjust it for your family's needs.


Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole

Yield: 10 - 12 Servings

Summary: 

You could use leftover ham for this casserole or leave out the ham and serve this as a side dish with any main meat meal. Delicious served with either green beans or broccoli. Add a salad and bread, and you have a hearty meal.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds potatoes
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, divided (unsalted is best)
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 16 oz. processed cheese spread (such as Light Velveeta)
  • Ground black pepper to taste
  • 1-2 pounds ham, diced
Instructions:
  1. Peel potatoes and dice into one-inch size pieces. Cover with water and boil until fork tender. Drain and pour into a greased 9- X 13-inch cake pan. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, dice peppers and onion and saute them in one tablespoon of butter until onion is opaque and peppers are tender. Remove from pan.
  3. Dice processed cheese spread into one-inch pieces and set aside.
  4. In heavy saucepan, melt the other one tablespoon of butter. Add one tablespoon of flour and use a whisk to make a smooth paste. Add one cup of milk, whisking thoroughly to remove all lumps. Add processed cheese spread pieces to milk mixture in pan all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat to melt. Stir in black pepper to taste.
  5. Add sauteed vegetables to cheese sauce, then stir in diced ham. Pour cheese mixture over potatoes in cake pan, covering to edges.
  6. Bake uncovered in a 350-degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.