Saturday, January 1, 2011

Your Most Important New Year's Resolution

Resolved:  

To Read the Bible All the Way Through This Year

Whether you are a believer, an unbeliever, or just don't have a clue, this is one resolution which could change your life...FOREVER.

With all the online tools available, there's really no excuse for not jumping right in now.* So what if you just read this blog and it's June; start now. That's the beauty of the Bible, it doesn't matter when you start or even where you start, if you read it all the way through, you will most definitely benefit in dramatic ways.

But don't read it like a novel or a history book. Read it with prayer, another good resolution. Pray the Lord will open your understanding and reveal Himself to you through His Word. Ask Him for wisdom to be gleaned from its pages, from the successes and failures of all the real people the Bible tells us about.

*Here are a few sites to get you started to find a reading schedule, which is most helpful. However, if you don't find anything you like here, try Google searching bible reading schedule one year.
Feeling overwhelmed by reading the Bible through in one year? Try looking for a schedule which takes two years. It really doesn't matter how you read it, but that you do read it. And, when you are done, turn right around and read it again...and again...and again. You will finally begin to see the Bible as a whole book, a holy and wholly inspired record of God and His work and what His eternal plans are for you individually.


I've been reading the Bible through over and over and over again for about 25 years now. It's a vital part of my daily walk with God. My schedule is very simple. I begin at Genesis 1:1 and read through Chapter 4. The next day, I begin with Chapter 5 and read through Chapter 9. Each day I start either on a chapter ending with 5 or 0 (5, 10, 15, 20, etc.) until I reach the end of a book. Then I begin with Chapter 1 through 4 again. Sometimes I read the whole book if it is small or only three chapters if that's all that is left at the end of a book. I place my Bible ribbon marker in the page where I left off and always know where to take it up again even if I happen to miss several days at a time. I usually finish before the end of the year this way even taking a break on Sundays. But, I don't wait until Jan. 1 to begin again; I just open up to Genesis 1:1 and start all over again. However, I did happen to finish on the last day of the year this week and am beginning afresh today with Genesis 1-4.

If you have any questions about the Bible as you read it, I'd love more than anything to discuss it with you or direct you to someone who knows more about it than I do. I don't have all the answers, but we can learn together. :) You may reach me with Bible questions or blessings you find in reading it through leaving your comments here, through the Contact Page, or join me on Facebook.