Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Ooma Telo Is a Dream Come True

Our monthly home phone service
costs us 
$3.95 a month!
I first saw a blurb for using Ooma Telo in a Readers' Digest article last year. I tore the page out for further investigation and spent a good six months investigating and pondering all the benefits of this home telephone option. All the reviews were pretty consistent on its reliability and voice clarity, but what really drew me was the monthly savings. When I saw it on sale on Amazon.com around Christmas time, I jumped at the chance to really save our family a hefty chunk-o'-change on our home telephone service.

It's simply unbelievable. Are you ready for this? Our monthly home phone service costs us $3.95 a month. No, I'm not kidding.
Here's the deal. You purchase the Ooma Telo, hook it into your home computer Internet network and telephone base, and get rid of your monthly phone service. From then on, you pay only the taxes and fees for your area (ours being $3.95 a month). The basic set up includes caller I.D., call waiting, and voice mail. If you want more bells and whistles or wish to keep your old telephone number, it can cost you more, but we kept our number for a one-time fee of only around $40 and just use the basic service. I figure our Ooma Telo will pay for itself in the first six months. Awesome.

There's only one catch: you must have high-speed Internet service (cable, DSL, or fiber-optic). Our only local option is pretty pricey, but we use high-speed Internet anyway for our work and ministry at home. Yet, even if you don't think you can afford high-speed Internet, by saying bye-bye to your phone bill, you just might be able to afford it to use with your Ooma.
The reason you need high-speed Internet is that Ooma Telo uses what is referred to as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, similar to Vonage and other free Internet telephone services. The difference between Ooma and other VoIP services is in the voice quality and usability. With Ooma, using the Internet does not interfere at all with your phone service, and your computer doesn't even have to be turned on for it to work. You can check out how it all works on their website if you're really interested. I can't explain it all here, but all I know is that it works just as well as any other telephone options we've ever used at home.  
The only glitch we've encountered is there are times when it doesn't ring in for short periods of time. However, each time this has happened (twice in six months), the voice mail has taken the messages, and we've been able to get back with our callers right away. For $3.95 a month for phone service, I'm TOTALLY happy to put up with this rare inconvenience.
There was only one obstacle in setting up my Ooma Telo, however: My fear of failure. I'm not a techie by any means, and I've relied on our teenagers in the past to help me with computer and Internet hook ups. But, with no one home anymore, I was on my own. Consequently, I put it off for several months until I discovered we were already being charged the $3.95 a month as soon as I registered the silly thing. (Bonk myself in the head.) I immediately went to the Ooma site to begin the phone number porting of our home number. Once that was accepted by our phone company, I called to have our old service disconnected. All I had to do, then, was follow the simple instructions which came with my Ooma Telo to connect our home phone to our router and Internet modem, and we were in business. It was so easy I could have just kicked myself for putting it off so long.
What are you waiting for? Get a Great Deal On Ooma Telo With FREE SHIPPINGtoday!
Purchases made through links in this post may result in monetary benefit to this blogger. (Thank you!) However, this review is given on my own free will with all my own opinions and experiences. I really DO believe in this product and how it can save your family a lot of money. Leave your comments and questions below, and I'll try to be of as much help as I can.