Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Word of Encouragement to Godly Women Following the Election of 2012

Photo courtesy of stock.xchng
My first reactions to the outcome of the 2012 election in America were disbelief, anger, and grief: disbelief that so many people could be blinded by lies and deceit; anger at same people for believing those lies and acting on them; and grief for what has been lost in our country, perhaps forever, which same people are seemingly clueless about.

But, then I thought about another election which took place many years ago when our children were very small. When President Bill Clinton won the 1992 election, our babies were 6, 5, 3, and our youngest just two months old. To tell you the truth, I was devastated. I wept and wept and even tried to think of how I could escape with our little ones if the government came to take them from us for homeschooling.

You might think those were irrational and unfounded fears, but they were real to me then and shook me to my very core. I have a sneaking suspicion there may be godly women this morning in America who are experiencing similarly debilitating apprehensions. But, thanks be unto God, I am not one of them. Thankfully, time, experience, and growth in grace since that other election twenty years ago have changed how I react today.

Here is what I've learned (hover your mouse over the verses and a box should automatically pop up to read them):

  1. There is no human ruler who can cancel what God has ordained (Psalm 2:1-12).
  2. There is no human ruler who will rule forever (Psalm 37:35, 36).
  3. There is no human ruler who can separate us from the love of God (Romans 8:38, 39).
  4. There's a whole lotta living to do in the here and now (Romans 13:12).
  5. We have too much work to do in the eternal, invisible Kingdom to spend too much time worrying about the physical kingdoms of this passing world (John 12:35).
As a believer, I cannot succumb to those emotional reactions which will hinder me from what is really important in life: family nurture, spreading the Gospel, and bringing glory to God. Truly, though I am troubled on every side, I am not in distress; though perplexed, I am not in despair; though persecuted, I am not forsaken; and though cast down, I am not destroyed. (II Corinthians 4: 8, 9) There is just too much at stake to give in and give up.

King David felt this way, too, and he encouraged himself:

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God." (Psalm 42:11) 

I was personally encouraged myself this morning by a song the Lord gave me, perhaps even written by David. It is Psalm 125 in the 1934 Psalter Hymnal (All Who, With Heart Confiding):

All who, with heart confiding,
depend on God alone,
like Zion's mount abiding,
shall not be overthrown.
Like Zion's city, bounded
by guarding mountains broad,
his people are surrounded
forever by their God. 
No scepter of oppression
shall hold unbroken sway,
lest unto base transgression
the righteous turn away.
Your favor be imparted
to godly people, LORD;
bless all that are pure-hearted,
the good with good reward. 
All those who evil cherish,
forsaking truth and right,
with wicked ones shall perish;
God will their sin requite.
From sin your saints defending,
their joy, O LORD, increase,
with mercy never-ending
and everlasting peace.
 
Isn't that beautiful? 
If you are experiencing some post-election despondency, let me encourage you today to do these things:
  • Get out in the sunshine, if possible, or at least turn on the lights and light some candles, and try to think of all the things you have to be thankful for
  • Listen to uplifting music which encourages you in the Lord
  • When a fear creeps up in your heart, cast it down by praying over it, leaving it at the feet of our all-powerful God
  • Read and meditate on Scriptures, especially the Psalms of David, which remind you of your victory in the Lord even in the midst of oppressive government
  • Reach out to others who may be struggling with election results and try to encourage them as well
It's not the end of the world. But, even it's the beginning of the end, we know the end of the story. "Hope thou in God."