Friday, June 19, 2015

A Happy Father's Day Indeed

My dad and me at my sister's 25th anniversary
wedding vow renewal service in 2014.
A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the 
widows, is God in his holy habitation.
God setteth the solitary in families:
he bringeth out those which are bound with
chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.
Psalm 68:5-6

A few years ago I wrote a blog post regarding my struggles at the card counter when choosing a Father's Day card for my dad called When a Father Falls Short of the Ideal: Father's Day Ponderings of an Adult Child of Divorce. I mentioned at the end how God had begun the healing between Dad and I after his coming to know Christ.

I just want to say with great joy in my heart and soul that it occurred to me this year that the struggle at the card counter was completely GONE. I still passed over the sentiments which didn't fit out relationship, but the subject matter narrowed down to something religious, which had not been an option those many years ago.

Dad called the minute he got the card. After gushing over the 20 or so pictures of his great grandchildren I had included, he said, "Marcia, I just want you to know that card -- O, that card! -- really blessed me."

What more can I say? My heart is full. God has brought it all full circle with His Son square in the middle of it all. I know this may never happen for some people who struggle with their relationships with their parents, but I must return to give thanks and glory to God for what He has done in our hearts and lives. If you read the post I mentioned above, you will see it began even before Dad came to know Christ or even considered he might have a daughter who was struggling at the Father's Day card counter.

Yet, even if your situation never changes, there is still hope for the hurting heart. There is an ever-loving Heavenly Father who cares for us even to the point of giving His own Son to pay the debt of our sins against His love. You will find Him in the pages of His Holy Word, the Bible. May you seek to know Him more today and find in Him your all in all.