Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Pitchin' a Fit - Book Review


When I first saw Pitchin' A Fit!: Overcoming Angry and Stressed-Out Parenting announced on the Family Renewal Facebook page, I knew I had to read it for several reasons. Though I have completed my years as a parent, I didn't want to make the same mistakes with our grandchildren I had made as a parent. Also, younger parents often come to me looking for godly counsel, and parenting is one of the main subjects on this blog. It is an awesome responsibility which I do not take lightly, so I knew I had to read this book.

Israel and Brook Wayne are a couple I have admired for a long time. In fact, I remember when their marriage was announced in his mother's magazine, Homeschool Digest. Learning from Israel's family, watching his life over these many years, and getting to know both him and his wife over the past few years through social media, I knew I could trust them to tell the truth in love. I was not disappointed.

Sure enough, as I worked through Pitchin' A Fit, memories flooded my mind of all my failures both past and present. I knew anger in parenting was something I had struggled with for a long time. I thought it was a necessary part of parenting, that it was good for kids to see an angry authority once in awhile so they would understand the wrath of God against sin. I blush to even admit that!

I have since learned and had it confirmed by reading this book that this way of thinking is not biblical at all. It was only foolish pride that made me think my sinful passions represented a holy and just God. And, to make matters worse, I was portraying an entirely wrong view of God to my children and grandchildren.

By the grace of God I had already been made aware of the culture of anger in which I was reared as a child prior to reading this book. I began to see that how others made me feel when they were angry was how I was making them feel when I was angry, and God broke my heart over it. Now He has used this book, Pitchin' A Fit, to continue that process of making me aware of my sin of anger.

I appreciate the humble and loving way in which Israel and Brook teach on this subject. They do so from experience, both in how they have struggled with anger and also how they have been affected by it in others. Truly, the testimony of Israel Wayne and his family as given in this book makes it worth reading for that alone. By all accounts, Israel should not be writing a book on Christian parenting at all, let alone on angry parenting. Were it not for God's grace in his life, he would be only another statistic in the number of angry, abusive parents who were abused by an angry, abusive parent. His testimony and Brook's examples of how God has worked in her own heart in this matter give hope to those of us who also struggle.

Yet, the authors not only give counsel from their own experiences regarding anger in parenting but also offer Scripture proofs. Israel and Brook have learned these truths from the Word of God themselves and use it thoroughly and accurately to bring them home to the reader in a gentle and loving way.

I encourage all parents, grandparents, teachers, and anyone else who has children in their care to read this little book with an open mind and a prayerful heart. It is never too late to begin afresh in the grace of God. So much damage in our homes and future homes could be averted if we would only take counsel from God's word.